Sunday Homily/Reflection By Fr. Kris Ikegwuonu, MDM (Fr. Galala).




 Homily for 16th Sunday {21/07/2024}, 

Year B

By Fr. Kris Ikegwuonu, MDM (Fr. Galala).


Today, let us focus on the responsorial Psalm. This is Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd. I like this Psalm so much. This is one of the best, powerful and wonderful psalms in the bible. Many of us only memorised Psalm 23, but we don’t pray the Psalm. 

Psalm 23 inspires calmness and assurance. It is a Psalm of confidence in God. This Psalm is a summary of all we need to know about our God, how God loves us and cares for us, what God does for us to protect us, guide us, and keep us safe. This Psalm is comforting. The power and miracle in this Psalm are so great. Pray this Psalm daily to get victory in all that you do. 

In the readings of today, this Psalm is a signpost that exposes us to the qualities of a bad shepherd. We find this in the first reading about shepherds or leaders who don’t care about the sheep in their care. Today, in different levels, families, countries, parishes and places, we have such kinds of bad leaders or shepherds. This Psalm equally directs our attention to the qualities of a good shepherd. We find this perfectly demonstrated by Jesus Christ in the gospel reading. Jesus saw the people as sheep without a shepherd and attended to their needs. Jesus is the best shepherd and everything contained in Psalm 23 is found in Jesus. Psalm 23 is illuminating, consoling, enlightening, endearing, and soul-uplifting.


Each of the sentences in Psalm 23 teaches us a lesson and has a message. Let us look at them:

The Lord is my Shepherd. That’s Relationship!


I shall not want. That’s Supply!


He makes me to lie down in green pastures. That’s Rest!


He leads me beside the still waters. That’s Refreshment!


He restores my soul. That’s Healing!


He leads me in the paths of righteousness. That’s Guidance!


For His name sake. That’s Purpose!


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. That’s Testing!


I will fear no evil. That’s Protection!


For You are with me. That’s Faithfulness!

Your rod and your staff they comfort me. That’s Discipline!


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. That’s Hope!


You anointed my head with oil. That’s Consecration!


My cup overflows. That’s Abundance!


Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. That’s Blessing!


And I will dwell in the house of the Lord. That’s Security!


Forever! That’s Eternity!


Amen.

Rev. Fr. Kris Ikegwuonu, MDM (Fr. Galala). [08034357990]

No comments:

Show HN: SignatureAPI – Electronic Signature API https://ift.tt/UeCPwqH

Show HN: SignatureAPI – Electronic Signature API Hey HN! Victor here from SignatureAPI ( https://ift.tt/7l3Zt5G ) SignatureAPI is an electro...