Show HN: ProgressLine – Track commands progress in a compact one-line format https://ift.tt/5QnE28Z

Show HN: ProgressLine – Track commands progress in a compact one-line format A bit about me: Originally, I'm an iOS developer, but over time, I became interested in CLI and DevEx, which ultimately led to the creation of my first CLI utility in Swift. Project creation story: I enjoy interactive and functional command-line interfaces with good UX, which often includes beautifully displaying the progress of ongoing operations. I wanted the ability to show a nice progress status for any command or script, but at the time, I couldn't find any solutions that suited my needs. Most community offerings are good libraries for specific programming languages. So, I decided this was the perfect moment to test my skills and Swift's capabilities in writing CLI utilities. In my opinion, Swift did an excellent job (although it doesn't have as rich a set of relevant libraries as Rust, for example). The main challenge turned out to be cross-platform support: - Currently (Swift 5.10), Swift doesn't support full cross-compilation, making it impossible to build a Linux version on macOS. However, this capability will be available in Swift 6! This limitation forced me to use Docker, slightly complicating the release flow. - Unlike macOS, Linux doesn't come with pre-installed Swift libraries (obviously), so they need to be embedded (statically linked) into the binary file, which significantly increases its size, even after stripping. I hope the strip process will become more efficient in the future. Overall, I'm pleased with the result and would be thrilled if my small utility proves useful to others. :) https://ift.tt/Cqt15Ld July 17, 2024 at 11:25PM

No comments:

Show HN: RealtimeAPI – Talking with AI in Realtime Like a Human https://ift.tt/NOlIZ6F

Show HN: RealtimeAPI – Talking with AI in Realtime Like a Human Add user beta test Experience realtime speech to AI interaction, just like t...